Sunday, February 8, 2009

Biking at the East Coast Park

My friends and I agreed to go biking yesterday - Saturday, Feb. 7, 2009; and it's going to be our fifth attempt more or less, to get our legs kicking with these bicycles.

When I got up, I hurriedly check my phone as I had an appointment with my agent to view a flat at Holland Village but he cancelled the appointment. So, I decided to go to the gym. I had few hours to do some cardio and weights. After the gym, I got so tired but did not have much time to rest as Mamul was sending me some SMS about the activities for that afternoon. Mamul and Agnes together with Christian, actually went first somewhere (I forgot the name of the place LOLZ:P ) to check some electronics and then they sent messages that we would meet at Expo which was a station away of Tanah Merah. Anyway, I did not much have rest after the gym but I managed to watch Discovery discussing Taboo, which was pretty interesting. It was showing some food stuff and they were disgusting, which made it taboo. From the Cobra wine to actually drinking the cobra's blood, to eating insects like hoppers and crickets, to eating friend scorpions, then dog meat in Vietnam - where they sort of have a dog livestock, to puffer fish in Japan - a very deadly meal, a Russian Rollet kinda thing in dining. I was a little shocked on the dog meat thing and I hope I won't offend some culture about it by mentioning this one in my blog.

Anyway, Olga was already ready for the trip and I was hurrying myself from washing my face and then changing my clothes. You might be wondering if I took my bath already and the answer is yes, after the gym (hehehe). Olga and I went out of the flat at around 4PM and walked our way to the Buona Vista station. Tanah was really far. I was standing up until Commonwealth and got a seat at Outram. I told you I was a little tired so I managed to get a bumpy nap. We reached the interchange in about 45 minutes maybe and from a station away, we arrived to our destination which is at Expo. Olga and I went to this Nike Sale and the queue at the entrance was a mile long. When we got inside, it took us 15 minutes on the queue right after we could enter the actual rummage of Nike goodies. I got dizzy of which things to buy. I got a cap and a polo shirt and I was trying to fit some good looking shoes. They were actually all marked up and all of them were made from China. I got so tired and dizzy with all the people. I guess I am not so used to it - some people in different sizes and smell? Plus the fact that I was a little tired which I pretended I wasn't (hehehehe). I had my stuff ready and was about to pay and got discouraged by the huge queue again. I guess Singapore loves to queue things.

Anyway, I decided to go out of the premise instead and did not buy anything. I was so exhausted of the flock and the breeze outside which was telling us that it would rain was a refreshment that I have waited.

Olga got out of the building and had her jacket purchased at 20$ which was a really pretty bargain. Mamul suggested to let Olga try the new jacket and it was really cool. Mamul then had over the KFC meal Olga requested through me and I had a piece of fried chicken which added a boost in my waning energy level.

We then decided to go to our destination at Eunos. Did I mention I was so thirsty? Yes, I got a pack of orange juice from the ever reliable 7Eleven which is also ubiquitous here in Singapore.

We arrived at Eunos around 6PM and one of the member of the group had to discharge something (wahihihi). So while waiting near the exit of the station, we checked our route and then got some pamphlet of maps. I took one and I think Agnes got one too. After that, we checked this mobile phone center. I have my very old SEK700i and Agnes was surprised and same as I, finding out that our units were valued at just 25$. Though I have another phone which is low tech but it has served the main purpose of the phone which is for some SMS and calls.

Anyway it was time to proceed to our destination. We actually walked some few blocks going to bus stop # 3 and rode the Bus No. 55. It was getting dark already but the idea of being lost and finding our way was kind of exciting. Mamul actually told the bus driver to stopped the bus near East Coast - thanks to this kind fellow.

We arrived at this place and didn't really know exactly where. We then started to climb in this skywalk and then saw these two ladies in their jogging outfit. We thought of following them. We were then going to a hawker which was not East Coast and so we changed routes - this time not following the two ladies. There was this guy in his 40's and Mamul asked some directions and he was like pointing somewhere which was a little helpful actually. We then came into this corner after passing some HDBs and asked another man. This time he's pointing straight ahead and this time we're getting close but not lost. After some more minutes of walking we saw the light, the light from McDonalds and that was it. The East Coast park. We crossed the street using the underground tunnel. I call it a tunnel because it was such a big walk way and there were few people and the tunnel looked to WW2 to me - a remnant of the past perhaps. Then we arrived at the park itself at the other end of the tunnel and we hurried our pace going to this bike station. We got the bikes for 5$ a piece and a bottle of water. The attendant then attached the back lights in our bicycles and also the baskets. We then headed to this bicycle experience. There lots of people mostly at their 20's. The scenery was that exciting because it was dark and you would hear music along and the sound of the sea splashing in the shore. Anyway it was a great experience. Something that made me love biking. I was learning how to bike when I was in fourth grade and after a year stopped. Anyway it was fun biking with friends and just screaming and singing along. Wahahahha. Yeah I was able to do that because at that time it was like 8PM and there few people. We managed to actually reached the end of the other side of East Coast. Agnes had some issues with the bike so she had to stop from time to time but that did not stop us from enjoying the night.

We were to return the bikes by 9:45PM so we just had to return it by then, otherwise, we will need to return it the next day, at 8AM. So we need to hurry a bit our bike pedal. We managed to return the bikes on time.

I thought that we were hungry so we checked out some place to dine. While doing so, we check this inline skaters doing a show and then we followed this strip of merchants and I bought a fleece blanket at 7$. It was getting late for dinner so we need to get settled already. We were able to track the restos and were still undecided so we went on going back, rounding the food shoppe (Hehehe). At last, we found our haven at this Japanese and Korean food house. We got ourselves served and it was a great dinner. The food they served were simply delicious.

It was time for us to go home and it was like 11:30PM already. It was getting late and our feet were screaming to death :D


wincent said...

Hey thanks for the post. Amazing ain't it. There are just so many singapore tourist attractions. Will take me weeks just to finish visiting all of them. Wish me luck.

xgenesis007 said...

You're welcome wincent.
I think that won't be enough you should I guess have two weeks :D You can actually check Singapore tourist center and if I am not mistaken they one in Orchard, Little India etc. They can provide you with most of the information you might need.

Solo said...

Hey1Happy trip ok!!!!
Wish you enjoy your travel..=)
Hope to see you on my blog.